Very Good Inspection for Strathdevon Primary
An inspection of Strathdevon Primary School and Nursery Class has received a very positive report from HMIE inspectors who highly praised the Headteacher’s leadership and children’s progress and achievements in literacy and numeracy.
The inspection team from Education Scotland visited the school and talked to parents, carers, partners and children. They observed lessons and engaged throughout the inspection with the Headteacher, Depute Headteacher and all staff.
The inspection team rated the four quality indicators for the school as three ‘very good’ and one ‘good’. The Nursery Class was rated as two ‘very good’ and two ‘good’.
The school was highly praised for:
- The strategic leadership of the headteacher in developing a positive ethos of achievement. The Headteacher’s successful focus on building relationships and pride in the school.
- The quality of shared leadership at all levels in the school and nursery class.
- Highly effective data gathering and analysis systems which inform teachers’ planning, tracking and monitoring of children’s learning. Clear assessment processes that are built into learning activities that teachers plan for children in the primary stages.
- Children’s progress and achievements in literacy and numeracy. Their enthusiastic contributions to identifying and leading areas for improvement. Children who are happy, confident and motivated learners.
- The teamwork of the primary staff and nursery practitioners. The timely interventions that support individuals and groups of children well and lead to children’s social, emotional and learning needs being met effectively.
Areas for development were identified and discussed with the headteacher and Education staff:
- Across the primary classes, continue to improve consistency in high quality learning and teaching.
- In the nursery class, continue to strengthen approaches for planning, tracking and monitoring children’s learning to ensure they are making progress over time
Chief Education Officer Lorraine Sanda said: “We are delighted with this very positive inspection report which demonstrates the high level of commitment from the Headteacher and all staff.”