Green Bin Waste
This bin is emptied every three weeks and should be placed on the kerbside with the lid down for 7.00am.
Materials that should not go into your green bin
- Paper, cardboard, cans, aluminium foil and household plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays. These go into your blue bin
- Food waste goes into your kerbside caddy
- Plant waste goes into your brown bin
- Glass bottles and jars should be taken to a community recycling point
- Small electrical items should be taken to Forthbank Recycling Centre or a charity shop that will accept these items
- Batteries should be taken to Forthbank or a shop that has a battery collection point
- Clean cothing should be taken to a community recycling point or charity shop
Only items that cannot be recycled or reused should be placed in your green bin
- Plastic bags and wrappings including cellophane, grease proof paper, bubble wrap and crisp bags.
- All wallpaper should go into your green bin.
- Anything contaminated with body fluids such as nappies, cotton wool, cotton buds and hankies.
- Pet wastes.
- Packaging heavily contaminated with food waste.
- Rags and cloths that are heavily soiled with oil or grease.
- Polystyrene packaging that is often used to surround televisions.
- Window pane glass, broken crockery and glass cookware.
Maximise your space
- Squash or break up all packaging that cannot be recycled and where applicable, leave lids off.
- If nappies take up a lot of space then modern quick-drying washable nappies might offer a solution. More information can be found at the Go Real Nappy Information Service.
- Packaging is necessary to protect items but there are still many occasions where the consumer ends up with unnecessary packaging. Try to avoid goods with unnecessary packaging or ask the retailer to take it back.
Reduce flies and avoid smells
- Wrap soiled nappies in a plastic bag.
- Dispose of food in the grey caddy as this is collected weekly.
- Never dispose of dog waste without placing it in a container. Always bag it.
- Ensure the bin lid is always shut to keep out vermin and reduce litter.
Excess waste is not lifted at the kerbside but can be taken to Forthbank Recycling Centre.