Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Objections and Complaints

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Objections and Complaints

Clackmannanshire Council is required by Law to licence any House in Multiple Occupation, which is the principal residence of three or more unrelated persons.

The aim of the licensing regime is to make sure accommodation is safe, well managed and meets set standards.

How to object to a HMO application:

A site notice must be displayed at the property applying to be used as a HMO, whether it is a new HMO application or a renewal HMO license application.

The notice must be displayed for a period of 21 days in a prominent position, where members of the public can clearly see it.

Anyone can object to an application, but it will only be upheld if there is a specific reason such as:

  1. The applicant is not a fit and proper person
  2. Possible fire hazards
  3. Anti- Social behaviour
  4. Noise nuisance

An objection must be made in writing, within the 21-day notice period, indicating the reason for your objection(s) and these will be investigated and given due consideration.

How to make a complaint against a HMO:

Anyone may complain about an unlicensed or licensed HMO in their area if they believe it is causing a nuisance, is a threat to public safety or the owner/manager of the property is no longer a fit and proper person.

Officers will investigate all complaints and will attempt to resolve any issues raised. If the complaint is found to be of such a serious nature, then enforcement action may be taken.

To lodge an objection or to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below.

For Further Information Contact

Environmental Health
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000