Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Information for parents and carers

Information for parents and carers

What do Educational Psychologists do?

Educational Psychologists (EPs) work to deliver services within a learning community, which consists of early years, primary, secondary school and specialist provisions.

Our job has 5 core functions:

  • Consultation
  • Assessment
  • Intervention
  • Training
  • Research

Most often, our work starts with a consultation where a meeting takes place, and solutions are identified by everyone involved in the discussion.

Our work can focus on an individual or family, on a whole school or learning community, or at the level of authority wide projects and concerns, for example, Clackmannanshire’s implementation of the Scottish Attainment Challenge.

We are committed to both equality and equity.  Our aim is to make a difference for children and young people broadly, but also targeting our work where it is most needed.

Can anyone talk to an Educational Psychologist?

A parent or carer has the right to seek advice from an Educational Psychologist.  Under most circumstances, we would encourage this consultation to take place together with the school, and any other professionals who are currently involved in providing a service to the child (examples might include a health visitor, speech therapist, inclusion support teacher, etc).  These other people can help to provide a fuller picture of the child’s support needs. 

Pupils aged 16+, and in some cases, aged 12-15, can seek to involve an Educational Psychologist on their own behalf without separate consent from their parents/carers. However, we would always look for ways to include the parent/carer in working together to meet the young person's needs if possible, while still taking into account considerations about privacy and data.

Telephone consultation service

Parents and carers are also welcome to contact the service on our twice weekly telephone consultation service.

If your question is about a child/young person who is already known to the service and we are working with your family, you are encouraged to contact your link Educational Psychologist directly on the same telephone numbers as above.  You can leave a message for that Educational Psychologist at any point during business hours.

Schools and other professionals can also call the telephone consultation service, but they cannot raise a new query about a specific child or young person without the consent of the parent/ carer. 

Can I contact the service using email?

We can be contacted by email at  If you choose to email our service using this address, please be careful not to include any information within your email which could identify you or anyone else. The email facility is for general enquiries only.

As an alternative, we encourage you to ask your child’s school to arrange a TAC meeting/consultation and invite the Educational Psychologist, or you can call us on our telephone consultation service detailed above.

If you or someone else in your family is having an urgent, immediate, life-threatening crisis, emergency numbers are available on our Reporting Child Protection concerns page.

How can we help your child?

We would need to learn as much as possible about the child or young person’s support needs in order to give advice about next steps.  Most often, Educational Psychologists support children and young people by working with the adults who know them best and see them often.  However, we encourage you to contact us for more information about the work we do.

What parts of the Educational Psychologist's job are required by law?

The Psychological Service has a statutory function, which includes the giving of advice about a child or young person's additional support needs to parents/carers, educational establishments, and the Local Authority.  Some kinds of queries are better directed to other professionals, for example, if a support need is mostly focused on a health problem, or an issue in the home.  However, an Educational Psychologist will usually be involved if there are key educational questions such as whether a pupil’s needs might be best accommodated in a specialist provision.

An Educational Psychologist will always be involved in the case of a pupil who attends education outwith the Local Authority provision, with support funded by Clackmannanshire.  Examples include

  • A pupil who is Looked After and Accommodated in another Local Authority, and who needs dedicated time from a Support for Learning Assistant, or other resources that are not provided by their host school as part of the standard support package.
  • A pupil placed by Clackmannanshire in a private/ independent school, or a specialist provision under the auspices of a different Local Authority.

All Educational Psychologists are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as practitioner psychologists, and further information about this qualification can be found on the HCPC website.

Where can I find more information about EPS projects, recommended books, resources etc?

@ClacksEPS has a lively Twitter feed that you can follow.

We also have a YouTube video feed.

Useful links

For services that operate parent support and advice lines, please refer to our useful links web page and service leaflets.

For Further Information Contact

Educational Psychology Service
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 226000 / 450000 Fax: 01259 226006