Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

Information for secondary school pupils

Information for secondary school pupils

Here is  some information about what the EPS might do in our work with pupils your age.  If you need help understanding any part of what you read, you could ask an adult you trust, like a teacher or someone in your family.

An Educational Psychologist (EP) is someone who is trained to help you and adults understand:

  • how our brain works
  • how we learn
  • how we behave
  • how we make friendships

It is our job to help make sure pupils have what they need in order to do their best at learning.  Usually, we work together with your parents/ carers, teachers, and other adults who know you.

Many young people can have problems that don’t seem to go away.  Parents/carers and other adults can try to help and sometimes this might help you feel better. If things don’t get much better and your parents/carers agree, they might ask an EP to help.

What can an EP help you with?

  • Feeling upset and angry about things
  • Finding school work hard
  • Not getting on with your friends
  • Getting into trouble at school
  • Feeling unhappy at school or at home

What might the EP do to help?

  • We might spend time listening to you and talking to you about what you are thinking and feeling.
  • We might come in to your school or classroom to see how you learn.
  • We might look at your schoolwork, and talk to you or adults who know you well to find out the things you are good at and what you find hard.
  • We might use tests to help us understand why some things are harder.
  • We may have meetings to talk with other adults who help young people. We would make plans to help you and share these with you.

Will the EP tell people what I have said?

Almost always, what you say to an EP is private.  But if you tell us that you or someone else is being hurt, then we must let others know who can help this to stop.

What should I do if I am worried about myself or my friend?

It is important to have at least one adult who you trust, and talk to them if you or someone you know needs help.  It is all adults’ job to keep children and young people safe.  You should never feel that you have to keep a secret if it is about you or anyone else being hurt.

Can I meet an EP?

If you think you need help, the first thing you should do is talk to an adult that you already know and trust.  Young people who are already in secondary school can ask for help, but usually an EP would work with all the adults who know you. If you are under 12, we would need to get consent from your parent, carer, or another adult who has Parental Rights and Responsibilities for you. If you are aged 12+, you may be able to give your own consent to talk with an EP, but we would try to find a way to include adults who can help solve your problem, whenever possible, even while always respecting your privacy.

You can refer to our web page for some more information we thought pupils your age might find helpful. Below are some links to more information that we thought pupils your age might find helpful.

If you need help understanding any part of what you read, you could ask an adult you trust.

Useful information

Our leaflets page has some more information including

  • How might an Educational Psychologist help me?
  • What does it mean if I am having an Educational Psychology assessment?
  • Are you worried about going to school?
  • Did someone important to you recently die?
  • Did something terrible happen to you or to someone you care about?

You may also find the following websites of interest:

  • Thinkuknow 
    • Information and advice about keeping children and young people safe online.
  • Childline
    • Private help anytime on the phone, in a text, online chat or email, from a person who will help with problems and make sure you can be safe.
  • See Me
    • Young People section gives helpful information about all kinds of mental health and wellbeing questions.

If you choose to email our service using the address, please be careful not to include any information within your email which could identify you or anyone else. This email exchange is not secure for private information - it is mainly for general questions.

For Further Information Contact

Educational Psychology Service
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 226000 / 450000 Fax: 01259 226006