Skip to main content | Skip to section menu | Access keys.

Clackmannanshire Council Online

FAQs for National Entitlement Card

FAQs for National Entitlement Card

Who is eligible for a Bus Pass?

You are eligible for a bus pass (National Entitlement Card) if you are a resident in Scotland (Clackmannanshire Council Area), and aged over 60, if you are disabled, registered blind, partially sighted or if you have mental health illness, learning disability or personality disorder.

The National Entitlement Card provides free bus travel within Scotland.

Can I use my bus pass to travel on buses outside the local area?

Yes, you can use your bus pass to travel free on any service bus and scheduled long distance coach travel anywhere in Scotland.

What do I need to provide to complete an application if I am aged 60 or over?

Proof of Address - one of the following - Council Tax Bill (current financial year), Home Utilities Bill (e.g. gas, electricity, landline telephone), Council/Housing Association Rent Book/Statement/Letter, Bank or Mortgage Statement, Credit Card Statement, Television Licence, HMRC Letter, DWP/Disability Entitlement Letter, Occupational Pension Letter,  Letter from Care or Residential Home, Letter from Local Authority confirming you are resident in the Council area.

Proof of Identity - one of the following - Birth Certificate, Current Passport, Current Photo Driving Licence, PASS Hologrammed Card.

Proof of Photograph - one of the following - Current Passport, Current Photo Driving Licence, PASS Hologrammed Card, Completed Photo Referee's Decleration.

What do I need to provide to complete an application if I have a disability?

Proof of Address - one of the following - Council Tax Bill, Utilities Bill, Bank Statement, Television Licence or letter from Residential Home.

Proof of Age - one of the following - Birth Certificate, Passport, Photo Driving Licence or Attendance Award Letter.

Proof of Disablement - one of the following - high rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), the high or middle rate of the care component Disability Living Allowance, Standard or Enhanced rate of the Mobility Component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Standard or Enhanced rate of the Daily Living Component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Attendance Allowance award letter, an award letter from the Veterans Agency or a disabled person's parking badge issued in accordance with the Disabled Persons (Badges for Motor Vehicles) (Scotland) Regulations 2000 - commonly known as a Blue Badge.

Other Categories:

Deaf - profoundly or severely deaf applicants (must be in both ears). The applicant must suffer from bilateral hearing loss greater than 70dBHL averaged over 1, 2 and 4 KHz.

Driving Licence refused or revoked - on medical grounds (other than misuse of drugs or alcohol) (letters from DVLA should be dated within the last 12 months).

If the Applicant, although under the legal age to drive, were to apply for a driving licence under Part 111 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 they would have their licence application refused pursuant to section 92 of the Act (Physical Fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

For other medical conditions where you have been told you would not be allowed to drive and if you were to apply for a licence, would be refused, you may be able to provide a recent letter from your GP or Hospital Consultant depending on your circumstance to confirm this.

Epilepsy - anyone with epilepsy who has had a seizure within the past 12 months and does not hold a current driving licence (licence revoked or surrendered on medical grounds), has never had a driving licence and would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds if they applied for one may be eligible to apply. Applicants must complete and have validated a NCT003 Certificate of Eligibility - Epilepsy.

Mental Health Issues - applicants must complete and have validated a NCT002 Certificate of Eligibility verifying their mental health condition under the definition provided.

People who have Limb Loss - one or both lower limbs, one lower limb and one upper limb or both upper limbs.

Terminally ill - anyone diagnosed as being terminally ill or anyone with a progressive degenerative disorder which severely impedes their mobility and ability to carry out day to day activities.

What is a Companion Pass?

If you are of fare paying age (5 years and older) and your mobility is such that you require to be accompanied when travelling, you can apply for a companion entitlement. It allows both the eligible person and one companion to travel free of charge together for the same journey by bus.

Who is eligible for a Companion Pass?

People from the age of 5 years, whose disability is such that they require to be accompanied when travelling and are

  • in receipt of DLA middle or high rate of care component
  • in receipt of Attendance Allowance
  • in receipt of War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance
  • registered as blind
  • living in a care/residential home or hospital
How do I renew my bus pass?

If you have a card because of a disability, Clackmannanshire Council will contact you 6 weeks before the expiry date of the card.  You will be asked to provide proof of your continued entitlement.  If you have not received a letter please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page. 

What if I have more than one bus pass?

You can only use your most recently issued National Entitlement Card on the bus. Any other cards will not work and you will not be allowed free bus travel. The last two digits make up your issue number.

If you have more than one card, only the highest issue number will be valid for travel.
For further information please see

If you are unsure which card to use, please contact Clackmannanshire Council by calling the telephone number on the back of your card.

How do I use the bus pass?

The bus pass must be shown to the driver and state where you are travelling to.

What does the National Entitlement Card cost?

It's FREE. There is no cost for the National Entitlement Card and all bus travel within Scotland is free. However, you will be asked to supply a recent colour passport photo at your own expense.

What is data protection?

We need your consent under data protection, to share your personal details with other departments and agencies of the council, other Scottish councils, and the Scottish Government.

Please be assured your personal information will never be sold or transferred.

Any there any other conditions?

The bus pass is non-transferable and can only be used by the named card-holder.

When will I get my card and when can I start to use it?

Your details are entered on a national online system from your application form. Your card is sent from the central processing bureau and can take up to 10 days to process. You can use your card immediately after you receive it.

The details on my card are incorrect, eg name spelt incorrectly.

If you live in Clackmannanshire, contact us using the details at the bottom of page, and we will request a re-issue.

What if my card is lost in the post?

We can reissue cards that have been lost in the post 14 days after despatch. Contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

What does the National Entitlement Card look like?


For Further Information Contact

Public Transport
Kilncraigs, Greenside Street, Alloa, FK10 1EB
Tel: 01259 450000